Watch the Friday Fast video
We all want to grow spiritually and become more like Christ. A daily devotion is a key part of that growth process. But where should you start reading? We’ve taken the guess work out of it for you. Each week we have a daily devotion that goes right along with the Sunday sermon. This allows you to take what you heard on Sunday and begin to apply it every day of the week. To get the latest reading plan sign up for the weekly emails or check us out on Facebook.
Commit to 22 minutes a day in 2022, and by the end of the year, you will have spent close to 134 hours with God. That is more than 5 days! Imagine the impact that will make in your life.
Join us the first Friday of each month as we pray and fast for our nation, our city, and our homes. You can fast a meal or throughout the day.
WHY SHOULD I FAST?
Why are you fasting? Is it for spiritual renewal, for guidance, for healing, for the resolution of problems, for special grace to handle a difficult situation? Ask the Holy Spirit to clarify His leading and objectives for your prayer fast. This will enable you to pray more specifically and strategically. Through fasting and prayer we humble ourselves before God so the Holy Spirit will stir our souls.
- Prayer and fasting internalizes the burden, deepening our ownership of a need.
- Prayer and fasting insists that we quiet our hearts and wait, slowing us down to receive from God.
- Prayer and fasting infuses the vision, enabling us to see what God wants to do.
- Prayer and fasting initiates the vision’s fulfillment, acting as a catalyst for us to act.
WHAT KIND OF FAST SHOULD I DO?
Pray about the kind of fast you should undertake. Many people take part in the Daniel Fast (vegetables and water). Before you fast, decide the following up front:
- How long you will fast – one meal, one day, one week, several weeks (Beginners should start slowly, building up to longer fasts).
- The type of fast God wants you to undertake (such as water only, or water and juices; what kinds of juices you will drink and how often).
- What physical or social activities you will restrict.
- How much time each day you will devote to prayer and God’s Word.
WHAT SHOULD I DO WHILE I’M FASTING?
The very foundation of fasting and prayer is repentance. Unconfessed sin can hinder your prayers. Here are several things you can do to prepare your heart:
- Remember that God is your Father and He loves you and is for you.
- Confess every sin that the Holy Spirit calls to your remembrance and accept God’s forgiveness.
- Seek forgiveness from all whom you have offended, and forgive all who have hurt you.
- Surrender your life fully to Jesus Christ as your Lord and Master.
- Meditate on the attributes of God, His love, sovereignty, power, wisdom, faithfulness, grace, compassion, and others.
- Begin your time of fasting and prayer with an expectant heart.
- Do not underestimate spiritual opposition. Satan sometimes intensifies the natural battle between body and spirit.
WHAT PRECAUTIONS SHOULD I TAKE?
Fasting requires reasonable precautions. Consult your physician first, especially if you take prescription medication or have a chronic ailment. Some persons should never fast without professional supervision.
- Eat smaller meals before starting a fast. Avoid high-fat and sugary foods.
- Eat raw fruit and vegetables for two days before starting a fast
SHOULD CHILDREN FAST?
- Children should be discouraged from fasting food before they reach puberty. Fasting can be detrimental to their health.
- If a child wants to participate in fasting, encourage them to fast alternatives such as TV, video games or social media.
*Information adapted from the writings of Bill Bright and John Maxwell.
A great way to structure your time with God is by praying the 8 Core Practices using the Lord’s Prayer as a guide.
WORSHIP “Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be Your Name”
Begin by giving God honor and praise for who He is and what He’s done.
GENEROUS GIVING: Make a list of things you are grateful for.
DIRECTION “Your kingdom come, Your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven”
The best way to discover God’s will is through the scriptures. It’s through the reading of God’s
Word that we hear His voice, discover His plans, and grow into the image of Christ.
DAILY DEVOTIONS: Read, Reflect, and Respond.
Read from the scriptures.
Reflect on what God is saying to you through His Word.
Respond to what God is saying or asking you to do.
REQUESTS “Give us this day our daily bread”
Ask God to meet the needs you have and pray for the needs of others. You don’t have to pray for each area. You might want to focus on the area(s) where there’s a need or pray for a different area each day.
PERSISTENT PRAYER: Pray for your personal needs.
GODLY FRIENDSHIPS: Pray for your friends and family.
SUNDAY WORSHIP: Pray for Core Church.
SHARING CHRIST: Pray for those who don’t know Jesus.
REPENTANCE “And forgive us our sins, as we forgive those who sin against us”
Take time for repentance and allow God to examine your soul.
CONTINUAL SURRENDER: Ask God to forgive any sinful thoughts, words, or deeds you have committed against Him or anyone else. Forgive anyone who has hurt you, angered you, or mistreated you.
STRENGTH “And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. For Yours is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever and ever. Amen.”
Conclude your time with God by asking the Holy Spirit to fill you, lead you, and use you.
SACRIFICIAL SERVING: Pray and look for opportunities to do good to those around you.
You don’t need to pray through all these directives. They are meant to be a guide. As you look through them stop on the prayers that grab your attention. We encourage you to journal your thoughts as you pray. You can use your journal to reflect on what God said, what you’re doing in response to what He said, and new insights and direction He gives you.
- Pray that God would reveal His visions, dreams, and plans for your life.
- Pray that God would reveal areas of your life that need to be surrendered to Him, including any sinful thoughts, words, or actions.
- Pray that God would give you a hunger and thirst for His Word.
YOUR FRIENDS & FAMILY
- Pray for your family.
- Pray for your close friends, co-workers, and classmates.
- Pray for your friends, family, and others that do not have a relationship with Jesus.
- Pray that God would give us a hunger and passion to reach people with the hope, healing, peace, and purpose of Jesus.
- Pray for the leaders of Core Church.
- Pray for Core Church Addis Abba (Ethiopia) and the Ethiopian Church that meets with us.
- Pray for unity, healing, and peace in our nation.
- Pray for the leaders of our nation.
- Pray for our service men and women.